A Brief History of Mary C.
Burdick Chapter #6 OES
Mary C. Burdick Chapter #6 held its first
meeting on June 3rd, 1913. On this evening, the first Worthy Matron, Ella
Tillison, and the first Worthy Patron, Prentis S. Scribner, were installed.
The Charter was legally constituted on July 7th, 1914 with a membership that
Among the original members was Medora Schweig,
daughter of Dr. A. F. Burdick and Mary C. Burdick, our chapter's namesake.
Mary C. Burdick was not a member of Order of the Eastern Star. However,
records indicate that Dr. Burdick was very helpful in getting the chapter on its
feet including donating the original jewels and loaning the chapter its working
capital which the chapter later repaid.
Mary C. Burdick Chapter #6 met at the MacDonough
Lodge Hall over Dr. Nay's Drug Store on the Jericho side of the village of
Underhill. It was not until March of 1931 that the chapter moved to its
current location by invite of the Masons.
With close to 90 years of memorable moments
behind us, we look forward to many more. We hope that you will join us and
become part of our chapter's on going history.